2014 was my 4th year as a published writer – January 2015 will be the actual 4 year anniversary. I’ve been working on building the backlist, and on diversifying. As well as two novels I’ve also had three shorts published this year – two in anthologies. I also sold my first ever F/F story. And I had a new paperback release.
If 2013 was the year of 8s, this has been the year of 9s. 9th novel out. 9th NaNoWriMo.
I also self published a previously published short – Reclaiming Territory. And put Shoot the Humans First and The Battle of Hollow Jimmy on Amazon. And thus began the constant battle of price matching to keep them free!
I attended the UK LGBTQ Fiction Meet in Bristol in June. It was a fantastic weekend. I did a couple of panels, led a round table discussion and of course met many cool people, readers, writers, bloggers, publishing professionals. I met old friends and made new ones. Can’t wait for 2015’s.
I participated in and won my 9th NaNoWriMo in November. And my book from NaNoWriMo 2013 was published as Dream For Me. I also did Camp NaNoWriMo for the first time – because I can’t get enough of that!
My top ten books of the year – though in a couple of cases they represent several books, because I decided one book per author. If there’s been a theme this year I’d say it’s Crime/Mystery and Fantasy. And one – Criss Cross – is an old favourite, but here because the series is now being released in audiobook. (Links go to Goodreads.)
I have to make Jordan L Hawk my author of the year. I only started reading her books this year and now I can’t get enough of them. Got all the Whyborne and Griffin books – in ebook and audio – and will be reading the SPECTRE series through next year.
It’s a Choose Your Own Adventure story based on the Adrien English series. It’s loads of fun and has great illustrations by Catherine Dair. So it gets a special metion for sheer originality and audacity.
Before I look at what’s planned for 2015, let’s look at what I was planning this time last year and listed in my review of 2013.
- Upcoming book – Red Dragon #2 expected release in February 2014 (That came out.)
- Get the NaNoWriMo draft edited and submitted. (Done – Now out as Dream for Me)
- I’m working on a couple of shorts for submission calls (That was 99 Problems and Role model. Both out now.)
- Working on an a new project idea I’m not ready to talk about yet! (That was an idea I had to maybe do a serial in short episodes. Then it turned into maybe a short series of novellas. Then it finally turned into the novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo! Oh well!)
- I will write Red Dragon 3 and possibly a spin off book of the Red Dragon series (RD3 out soon! Spin off book I’m editing right now.)
- Will attend the UK GLBT Fiction meet in Bristol. (I did. it was awesome.)
- Will do a 100 books challenge on Goodreads again. (Ended up at 130+!)
- NaNoWriMo #9? Maybe. Too early to say! (I did (fancy that) and that draft is next in the editing queue.
Things I didn’t plan, but happened anyway:
Loose Cannon FF short. I had the passing thought, could I do an FF story? Couple of characters at once started waving and shouting “pick me, pick me!”
A paranormal/fantasy novella that dropped almost fully formed into my head one summer morning snoozing in bed. Written, edited, submitted and sold – it will be out in summer 2015 from Dreamspinner Press
Plans for 2015
Releases Coming next year
February: Red Dragon 3 – Tempting the Stars from Loose Id
Summer: Immutable – fantasy/paranormal novella from Dreamspinner Press.
Paperbacks of Patient Z and The Company Man.
After that ???
Finish editing of Red Dragon spinoff.
Edit the NaNoWriMo novel – which is called Mapping the Shadows.
Verious drafts planned – one a sequel/related book to Patient Z.
Diversifying, changing direction a bit. Going to try more F/F, more contemporary, more standalones, more novellas maybe?
NaNoWriMo 10? How is that even a question?
I’m not doing a number of books challenge, as I want to read some long ones – like Ice & Fire series.
One challenge I have set myself is to reread the Sherlock Holmes canon in 2015. And I’ve set up a Goodreads Group for anyone who wants to join me and chat about the books as we read them. Come and join in!
Attend UK GLBTQ Meet 2015 and see old and new friends.
Keep up the weekly blog posts here.
It’s been a good year – I look forward to learning more and trying new things in 2015.